Monday, March 25, 2013

Off my bookshelf and into my lessons

The following is a beginning list of books that I use for my lessons.  This year I started shelving them in the order I use them so my bookshelf is very organized!   This beginning list takes us through the end of December.   I will follow up with another post later on to complete the list.

"The Dot" by Peter Reynolds
I love the catch phrase about just making your mark.  I usually start the year by reading this to Kinders and often re-reading to the older grades.

"Art" by Patrick McDonnell is the story of a little boy who makes art and Mom loves Art (and his art)

"Dem Bones" by Barner.  I use this one with a 3rd grade project for Day of the Dead.   Students learn about the bone structure of the body and create a skeleton using craft straws.  After the bones of the skeleton are completed, students collage dress them using wall paper clothes.

"Free Fall" by David Wiesner.  This book is great if you are trying to have students recognized the power of the illustration in telling a story.  There are no words in the book just beautiful illustrations.

"The Very Busy Spider" by Eric Carle.  This books is terrific as a read before a line project with Kinders that turns into a web with spider.

"Jeremy Draws a Monster" by Peter McCarty.  I love this one with third grade students.  It is a funny little story about a boy who is not very social but loves to draw and creates a monster who turns out to not be a very good friend.   It ends happily ever after.  Third grade students create their own imaginary monsters with an emphasis on shapes.

"I Spy Shapes in Art" and "I Spy Colors in Art" by Lucy Micklethwait.  These are must haves on the bookshelf.   Students enjoy searching for shapes and colors in famous works of art.

"The Mitten" by Jan Brett.  All of Jan Brett's books are wonderful for the art room.  I generally use this one with Kindergarten.

All the Snowmen books by Caralyn Buehner and her husband, Mark.  These are wonderful for a multitude of grade levels but I generally use them with 1st grade to investigate Space.  The illustrations are wonderful examples of defining near and far.

"The Trees of the Dancing Goats" by Patricia Polaco.  This is another book I use with the Kinders.  I like to use this one at the holiday time.  It is the story of families who celebrate Hanukkah and Christmas and honor and support each other's beliefs.    For the project, students create little model magic goats.











No comments:

Post a Comment