Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Final projects - perspective!

Fourth grade students discover one-point perspective as their final project each school year.  This year I had them to color the planes of the shapes using analogous colors so they demonstrate an understanding of analogous color as well.  I try to revisit techniques with consecutive year projects to reinforce learning.  After students successfully completed the basic one-point using geometric shapes, they are then invited to use box letters to create a second project.  I love the enthusiasm for this project.  I hear many comments as they finish that "this one will go on the wall in my bedroom." 

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Watch my student blog for summer post

You may or may not be aware that I have a summer blog with a focus just for my students.  I try to post a weekly activity to keep students creative during the summer weeks.  Even though we aren't officially on summer vacation, yet.  I have posted my first entry.  Jump on over to My students have Art on their hand, too for a link to a fun cartooning blog.  Check in all summer for new post to include drawing, crafts and other fun art activities.  Have a great vacation!

One more day until summer vacation

4th grade oldie but goodie
2nd grade
The last week of school is always busy.  There are projects to return, some projects to finish, work to be photographed for Artsonia and then the need to fill the time for those who are finished.  Cartooning videos are always my go to.  The kids love them and I usually have a little time to sit each period and enjoy some time with my students.  They take the hectic out of the last week.  While researching the images for this post, I've discovered a number of new choices out there.  Someone, quick hide my credit card!!!
Here are the images of some of my go to videos:
This one is a hit with 3rd graders
For 1st grade with a enclosed handout

This is a fun alternative I've used as well

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Thanks to Mr. E! A Pout Pout Fish Lesson

Back in November, Mr. E over at Art with Mr. E ran a giveaway for copies for the Pout Pout Fish book series, and I won! I read the books and couldn't wait to figure out a way to use them.  Well, I finally came up with an idea a few weeks back and here are the wonderful results made by my kindergarten students.  They began the project by cutting shapes and assembling them into a fish.  Week two was about texture as students added scales and other details to the fish.  We also investigated the under sea habitat of a fish and used crayon to create the bottom of the sea.  Week three, students finished any coloring from the week before and added the sea to their work with liquid watercolor.  Once dry, shape fish were added to the composition.  So, here is to Mr. E.  We loved the books and with the three book series were able to enjoy a new one each week to accompany the steps of the project.  My personal favorite was the one about school but I think my kinders really enjoy hear about the Deep Deep Dark!
lots of coral and sea weed in this sea

This one imagined a clam with pearl and a star fish

I love the castles in these two girl's work (top and bottom) and the
unicorn fish.  You can tell they sit closely together.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Let's Recycle!

Here we are in the final weeks of school and I have so much cleaning out to do!  My room became the catch all space for some really cool recyclables this year so when I was trying to come up with a final project for a class of second graders, recycled materials came to mind.  I had a huge pile of thin cardboard that a stamp collector had passed on to me as well as some cool ovals cut from mat board.  I pre-cut all the cardboard into 2" x 2" squares and gave students the option to use as many as they wanted but with a minimum requirement of five squares for each sculpture. First we reviewed how to slit the squares on each side so they could slide and lock together to form the structure.  Students experimented with what they sculpture might look like and determined how many squares they would need.  They also could cut anything into a small size if they wanted.  As soon as they had a plan they disassembled everything and painted the pieces in colors of choice adding designs and patterns as they wanted.  Once everything was dry, sculptures were reassembled and I used hot glue to attach them to the base.  This was a very successful project, the students really enjoyed it and it was all recycled!!