Friday, June 21, 2013

Cartooning and books on the last day of school

It's impossible to really introduce a new lesson in the final week of school so I traditionally turn to cartooning videos to end the year with a fun activity.  This was the last day of school.  I only had Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students.   In Kindergarten, we read and discussed the book One by Kathryn Otoshi.  This is a fabulous book about using your voice and peer interactions.  Written very simply, even the youngest student understands the message of speaking up for yourself.  My students love the book and in some classes, begged to read it twice.  On the second reading, they chimed in as I read.

2nd graders enjoyed the Veggie Tales Video How to Draw.  Here are a few pictures of them happily at work creating Bob the tomato and Ms Blueberry.





First grade students drew along with Ed Emberley's Squiggles, Dots, and Lines.  My copy included an instructional and promotional handout.   I always photocopy it for the students to follow along with.  It is a challenge for them to keep up with the video.

So that concludes yet another school year.   The end is always bittersweet but I have to admit, I was really ready for a break.  Hope you are enjoying a much earned summer vacation  as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment