With all the compartments in the muffin tin filled, I found a sunny location outside of the classroom on a humid 90 degree day, put the lid on my makeshift oven and hoped to melt lots of crayons.
Well, 6 hours later, the crayons had only softened. I uncovered the oven and exposed the crayons to direct sunlight for another hour. There was a little progress but not enough to qualify the process for use in a 45 minute class period. I pulled out my toaster oven and in minutes had achieve the goal of melted crayons. They cooled relatively quickly and popped right out of the tins.
Admittedly, I was disappointed. I had great expectations for a wonderful class with kindergarten where we could witness some science in action and walk away with a re purposed crayon to take home. I do highly recommend attempting this in the core classroom where more time can be devoted to the process but just don't see how I can really make it work in the Art Room.