Saturday, January 26, 2019

Speaking of Art Club

You might be wondering why any sane Art Teacher would take it upon themselves to do an art club every week when no one expects it from them, no one ask them to, and it's not in the contact.  Let me start my answer by saying that the Art Club is the highlight of my week.  I have the opportunity to be creative and enjoy the company of ten really great kids each week who want to spend some time in my room with me.  For me, that's just a gift with a big red bow on it every Thursday afternoon.  No matter what type of week I am having, I know I will walk out of Art Club feeling relaxed and appreciated.  Ten is the number of little artist I have this year but I have had closer to 20 in years past.  I don't want to go beyond the 20 mark but the range of 10 - 15 is really the cream.  A few of my little artist are behaviorally challenged in their regular day but in the Art Club, they are in their element.  They do have to agree to follow my rules with the understanding that they can be removed from the group if behavior becomes a problem, it seldom does.
Art Club activities range from crafty type activities to painting with everything in between.  This year we have thus far painted with acrylics, done gelli print and collage and created holiday decorations.  Presently, students are creating with clay.  I usually demonstrate an idea each session but they can go with it how they wish.  I'll be certain to post some finished clay projects in the future.  Art Club begins in October and runs through April Break which is generally mid April.  We meet Thursdays after school.  Parents do pay what averages out to about $2.50 per week for students to participate.  The school parent organization collects that money.  It covered the supplies, mostly with a stipend for me when we finish up in April.  No one is getting rich financially but many of us are benefiting from a very rich experience; speaking for myself, I know I am!
Gelli Print Collage 

Original Buttons


Snow man  Christmas Ornaments
Acrylic Painting on Canvas Board

No comments:

Post a Comment