Saturday, June 2, 2018

Mastering the Straight Edge

Student Work
I generally introduce fourth grade students to 1 point perspective and properly using rulers as a straight edge.  As a part of that lesson, we first practice using the ruler as a straight edge.  I am always surprised that 4th graders struggle with this mastery but have learned that using rulers has pretty much been dropped from their math curriculum.  A conversation on Facebook recently encouraged me to attempt the ruler process with my Kindergarten students instead.  I started by telling them that the 4th graders struggled with this skill and I knew they would really show them up with their successes.  Needless to add, they jumped at the opportunity to demonstrate a still that the older students had difficulty with.  The kinders did not disappoint.  After drawing lines with their rulers, I used 6" rulers, students then searched for any shapes they had created in the line work and colored them in.  This created a nice non-objective work of art that measures up really nicely.  I'd frame some of these!!!

Student Work

Student Work

No comments:

Post a Comment