Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sketchbooks

I make sketchbooks with my 1st - 5th graders every year.   Inside the front cover is a list of assignments with full  instructions on completing them.  Most often, I leave the sketchbooks as an assignment when I have a substitute.  Students also use the sketchbooks as a go to when they finish a project earlier than anyone else.  Over the years I have given students the option of decorating their sketchbooks to their own liking as long as the illustration included their name prominently on the cover.  I am not always pleased with the effort the students put into the covers of their books.  I always hope to see something that they feel passionate about and often I see something they have rushed through just to get it done.  This year, after viewing many different pins on pinterest, I decided to approach the project in a new way by having the cover represent a review of concepts from the previous year.  Here are my new covers for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade.



I plan to take the 4th and 5th grade sketchbooks in a new direction as well by perhaps having them design their own covers along the same format.

2 comments:

  1. These look nice! I use portfolios similar to these and they are so handy. I have one version for k-2 and another for 3-5, and i may eventually have grade specific ones like you, we'll see ;) have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea! These are great for really reinforcing the elements ! I love that they are an activity when you have a sub! Thanks for sharing this idea!

    ReplyDelete