Monday, November 14, 2016

3D Color Mixing Pumpkins



Color Mixing Pumpkins





I have done this project with my 2nd grade students for a number of years but felt I wasn't making the strong Math connections that I wanted.  I was motivated to create a template for the project where students could more closely be involved in the measuring of the clay  to make clearer connections.  Here is the template I created.   I made enough copies so each child would have their own and ran them through the laminator.  It can be used like a place mat to actually do the work on.

First I measured out the red, yellow and blue model magic clay for each student.
I use scissors to cut the individual pieces.
Measure off pieces and mark in the clay
Use a ruler to connect the marks
I used the side of the ruler to connect the dots and mark the cutting lines





Blue pieces are much smaller

I began by handing out the three colors of clay that were needed:

The place mat ready to begin

First step, mix red and yellow 1" pieces together.  Add in an extra piece
of red that measured 3/4" x 1/4".  This gave a red-orange
color for the pumpkin.
I conducted this project as a directed activity, walking them through each step, one step at a time.





Next the brown for the stem was formed by mixing the very small
pieces of yellow, red, and brown. 1/4" x 1/4"  The 3/4" by 1/4"
yellow and blue were mixed to make the leaves.


















Placed on a tray with student's names until they are dry
enough to write on the bottom with a sharpie
























No comments:

Post a Comment