Thursday, April 21, 2016

Fiesta Art Gallery

Every year I am ask to create decorations for the teacher managed Fiesta dance.  I personally don't like to have my students create "decorations".  For me, it diminishes the roll of art in education.  A few years back, I shifted the focus somewhat and began to create art projects that were then used to decorate the walls.  I attempted to make cultural connections and made sure that students viewed the work they were doing as art and not decorations.  This year, I approached those in charge and requested that I shift the focus a bit more.  As a result, we will be creating the Fiesta Art Gallery.  The dance will be an event for the gallery opening.  Now, yes, I know it is still the annual dance but I think my new approach with the students will create a new experience as well.  Here are a couple of the completed projects.  I will be grouping projects by subject matter complete with labels, artist statements and description plaques reflecting the purpose of the lesson and the Visual Arts standards that are in use.  I'll let you know how it all goes and promise to post more pictures as projects are completed.  Anyone have any suggestions as I try to make the gallery a reality?  Please share ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment