Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Metal Foil Tape

As I mentioned in my last post, I am really addicted to this Metal Foil Tape that I found at the hardware store.  I finished covering the globe yesterday, added some fake rivet marks and used inks on it to distress the finish a little before I sanded and scuffed the finish.  I'm not sure where I am taking this piece next.  I have a few thoughts and plans rattling around in my brain.
.
The photo is not the greatest because the light from my camera bounces off of the metal finish.  You can sort of get an idea of what it looks like.  I couldn't sit still while I muddled over what to do next with this so I set it aside to conquer more objects with the tape.   I had taken apart some books for a previous project with some 4th grade students in the spring and ever the pack rat, kept the covers.  After selecting one from the pile in the basement, I took out the tape and got to work.  I taped and inked the cover before adding a string to the book to tie it closed and the inside pages made from drawing paper (9 x 12) folded in half.  I wanted to embellish the outside a bit so added some features I had purchased at the craft store in the upper right corner and a tag and lady bug created using a sizzix dye and more foil tape. Here are those photos.









My last project for the day, I was starving and had worked right through lunch, was a small Whitman's candy tin I found in the basement from many Valentine's ago.  I covered the top and then embossed the metal with overlapping shapes.  This was a very similar project to the coins I have done with 3rd grade classes.  I used sharpies to color in portions of the shapes and added texture to other areas.  I discovered that a fine line sharpie could be used for color and texture at the same time.  I don't think I'm through with my search for things to add Tin Foil Tape to.  I'll keep you posted as I keep creating!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim
    Wow! I've used the foil tape once before, but I never imagined using it like you did. The texture/patina on the globe looks amazing. I like the box - it would be a perfect project for art camp. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see if I can get some of this and experiment! Thanks for sharing :)Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete